IFC LATEST PRAYER UPDATE (ENGLISH)
NB. You can copy and paste the update into a word document, then print, or, join our 'Prayer Updates by E-mail' group.
This prayer guide is contemporary as at the time of going to press. Please adapt according to developing events.
INTERCESSORS FOR CYPRUS PRAYER UPDATE APRIL 2020 No. 78
Intercessors for Cyprus. Prayer Update. April 2020 No. 78
We suggest you print out the update for use this month. The words are close-typed for economy of printing. Use the Bible and its promises alongside this update.
Why not read the Bible through every year on a daily basis? Please go to our website: www.intercessorsforcyprus.org page: ‘Daily Bible Reading Plan’
INTERCESSORS FOR CYPRUS ΕΝΤΕΥΚΤΕΣ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΚΥΠΡΟ
Praying for the nation of Cyprus Προσευχόμενοι για τον Λαό της Κύπρου
PRAY for your city: Jeremiah 29:7.“Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." An interpretation of) Isaiah 62v6-7a: ‘I have set intercessors on your walls who shall cry out to God for the fulfilment of his promises.’
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ, greetings.
this unprecedented season in nations and church, IFC has this month sent out
four prayer emails. This monthly IFC Prayer Update for APRIL follows on from
these rather than the usual format. God
bless you. The IFC Team
WHAT IS GOD DOING?
A. Brief summary of the previous four IFC email articles: We began by stating that God is the Sovereign Lord over all creation, over all the nations of the earth. This event has not taken Him by surprise. Coronavirus is clearly shaking all nations of the earth. We have looked at the need to obey the authorities, and the value of scriptural promises such as Psalm 91, and applying the principles of Passover (Exodus 12; Mark 14v12; 1 Corinthians 5v7 to Coronavirus). We have used various suggestions for prayer at this time including that of the Cyprus Evangelical Alliance, and the taking of action to aid the vulnerable in the community. We have looked at how to sustain ourselves spiritually in small groups, families, couples and individually, based on the principles of Acts 2v42. We have shared some good news around the nations and recognised the opportunity to share THE Good News at such a time as this. We have briefly pondered what the Lord is doing through all this – perhaps this is a preparation for future difficult times, be it shakings or persecution. Then we considered God’s use of this historic event - whatever the cause - for His redemptive purposes. We are learning to enter into His rest as the nations are on ‘pause’, for the Church to re-align with His will. We have suggested many areas for prayer and intercession, some of which are still very relevant, so we hope you will use them as resource material.
B. Short comment on what God may be doing: and what the enemy may be doing at the present time of ‘lockdown’.
There are suggestions for prayer, of course, but may God’s Holy Spirit lead you as you pray or link with others online.
Ecclesiastes 9v12 (NIV): ‘….no man knows when his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them.’
Philippians 4v4-8 (NIV): ‘Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
A word to the wise: Yes, keep in touch with the news, but don’t major on it. Listen to worship or Christian material, read the word, edify yourself, building your faith, rather than majoring on fear-inducing material. Also, it is good to see and hear both locally and far beyond how people are serving and helping others at such a time as this. What can you do?
FATHER GOD is all-wise as well as the Sovereign King of all creation. He is at work in this situation.
1. REST: I am in the habit of withdrawing from time to time on a ‘retreat’ (advance), but for many, this enforced sabbatical is a new thing. It is God’s ‘pause’ among the nations, a time for reflection, for rest, honouring His example and command to take rest in this frenetic world of activity and stress. (See Genesis 2v2; Exodus 20v8-11). Give thanks, and pray that many actually rest their minds and bodies during this time, and that they consider the direction of their lives and risk thinking about the deeper questions of life. Pray that God draws near to help them find what they really need…to know Him, and His salvation. (Psalm 46 esp. v10; Philippians 4v4-7). As believers, let’s remember that He has promised not to leave us alone (John 14v16). He is with us by His Spirit. We can use this time to draw closer to God, who is an ‘ever present help in times of trouble.’ Pray about your own walk with God as He speaks to you by His Holy Spirit.
2. OPPORTUNITY: Evangelical churches in a number of nations have called for national days of prayer, including the United States, the United Kingdom (held 22nd March). Amen. Others have laid down prayer plans through this crisis. Amen. Many churches and groups are using technology to communicate, worship, pray and study together. This is a good preparation for the future, when western believers have to cope with persecution - much of the rest of the world’s believers already do. There are also major purposes in the heart of the Lord yet to be fulfilled on the earth, of which we know from the Bible, including one IFC is particularly interested in, as there are 64 promises concerning this in the word of God, which are gradually being fulfilled in our day (see Ezekiel 36, esp. v24-28; Hosea 11v10; Jeremiah 16v14-16; Isaiah 49v22 for example). It is also an opportunity for the world to choose to bow to God and His Son or not (see Psalm 2). Pray as led.
3. OVERCOMING: Through the gifting of many in the medical research and governmental fields, this season WILL come to an end….as the NT Authorised version of the Bible often says: ‘And it came to pass’. God’s Passover season is being recognised afresh…the power of the applied ‘blood of the lamb’ (by faith) to protect His own. Fear in believers is being chased away, replaced by faith in God and His word. Christians are learning to put their trust in the word of God and His promises like never before! (See Psalm 91 for example). God is restoring His Church through adversity, servanthood, renewal and in some places revival. The bride of Christ is being prepared for His coming.
Satan is also active at this time, but remember, he is used as a tool in the hands of the all-wise, Sovereign God.
God is working out His purposes on the earth, fulfilling His Biblical prophetic word and promises, bringing things to fulfilment.
The devil is certainly active at this time, even though on God’s leash (Job 1v6-12).
1. DEATH: John 10v10 makes it clear that the devil – the liar and murderer (John 8v44) – comes to steal, kill and destroy, but that Jesus has come to give life to the full. This virus is killing many, and those who die without knowing God’s Son and His salvation will join the devil and his followers. A good reason to pray for life, salvation, outreach and witness – even if only by internet at this present time.
2. BANKING: Most people are having to use cards and internet banking rather than cash transactions at this time of isolation. There have been calls for international systems which would mean a cashless society. The technology for inserts under the skin are already developed. The Book of Revelation speaks of a ‘mark’ on people’s bodies in this economic context.
(See Revelation 13v16-17; 14v9-11; 16v2). This crisis is being used by the enemy to further fulfil this plan. Note Psalm 33v10-11 and pray according to these promises, that God’s purposes prevail despite developments.
3. RELIGIONS: I was saddened to read that in Cyprus, the various mainline Christian denominations called a ‘people of faith’ gathering, including Islam’s Mufti in Cyprus amongst others to join them in prayer over Coronavirus. Whilst prayer is good, uniting under an inter-faith banner is not good in God’s sight. Rather, this pollutes the pure Christian faith, the one true faith before God. No religion offers forgiveness and salvation through God’s son, but only by works.
Satan is further paving the way for a one-world religion, embracing all the faiths except those who reject this. (See Revelation 16v13-14, etc.) Pray for churches and believers to discern and understand the times (1 Chronicles 12v32; 1 Thessalonians 5; Matthew 16v3; Philippians 1v10; Hebrews 5v14).
4. GOVERNMENTS: Around the world these are having to consider issues such as civil disobedience, economy v the saving of lives and amongst others. Pray for the Church to have relevance towards these issues and for governments to know how to handle increasingly difficult situations with Godly wisdom. Continue to pray for health service staff.
Following on from the paragraph concerning religions, not only is there an increasing possibility of a one world religion in days to come, but through this crisis, the call for a united and co-ordinated front is emerging amongst the nations…..which could open the way in the future to the desire for a one-world government, perhaps for crisis management initially.
These developments are indicated in Revelation 16, where the dragon (the devil), the beast (antichrist & his government) and the false prophet (religious entity) are all mentioned (see also 1 John 2v22 & 4v3; Daniel 9, esp. v27). The likelihood of such developments has been increased by this world-wide virus. Let’s not hide our heads in the sand, but trust God for the future. Pray into this.
Finally, pray for family & relatives, neighbours and friends, work colleagues and acquaintances to be drawn to God, bearing in mind that Jesus said, ‘Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.’ (John 17v3).
Please feel free to pass on this email…with discretion.
IFC email: email@example.com IFC website: www.intercessorsforcyprus.org
The following was passed on to us. Declarations are faith statements about what is true regardless of our current experience. The following verses illustrate our need to stay in faith as we pray, and the declarations below will help us.
“This is the confidence which we have before Him,
that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know
that He hears us in whatever we
ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him” (1 John
“Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you” (Mark 11:24).
- I will thrive no matter what happens. (Philippians 4:11-13)
- My God is meeting all my emotional needs, financial needs, health needs, protection needs, relational needs, strength needs, wisdom needs, and every other need I have. (Philippians 4:19)
- Because of my covenant with God, the coronavirus will not affect me or my loved ones. (Psalm 91)
- No weapon formed against me will prosper. (Isaiah 54:17)
- I know what I am supposed to do and what I am not to do at this time. (James 1:5)
- I supernaturally bring physical healing to others. (Mark 16:17)
- God’s people are humbling themselves, praying, and turning from their wicked ways, and our land is being healed as a result. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- My prayers for our local and national leaders are bringing breakthrough, wisdom, and peace. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
- The name of Jesus is greater than the name of coronavirus. (Philippians 2:9)
- I do not worry about anything but in everything through prayer and thanksgiving, I possess the peace of God which guards my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
- My prayers are positively influencing my nation concerning the coronavirus. (James 5:17-18)
- I am now incredibly arising and shining with love and solutions for the world around me. (Isaiah 60:1)
- No matter what happens, I will be ok. (Romans 8:28)
- Because of God’s promises, I am participating right now in the divine nature and escaping the corruption that is in the world. (2 Peter 1:4)
- My love and service to others at this time is a powerful expression of God’s love to everyone I meet. (I Corinthians 13)
- Every time I speak to the mountain of coronavirus to be removed, it decreases dramatically. (Mark 11:23)
- In every situation I face, there is always a solution. (I Corinthians 10:13)
- This season is an hour of great opportunity, supernatural provision, and breakthrough for me and those I am close to. (2 Kings 4:1-7)
- God is comforting, strengthening, healing, and providing for those who have been negatively impacted by the coronavirus. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- I am experiencing increased levels of intimacy with the Lord at this time. (Philippians 3:8)
- I am unaffected by the spirit of fear and am in perfect peace. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- I am a safe place for those around me, and my great faith covers and encourages those experiencing fear. (Galatians 6:1)
- The Spirit in me is greater than the spirit in the world. (1 John 4:4)
- Because I am a follower of Jesus, I have the greatest gift of eternal life right now. (John 3:16)
- My God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He has delivered me in the past, and He will deliver me in this also and make me a source of strength and peace to others. (1 Samuel 17:34-35)
INTERCESSORS FOR CYPRUS PRAYER UPDATE MARCH 2020 No. 77
Intercessors for Cyprus. Prayer Update. March 2020 No. 77
We suggest you print out the update for use this month. The words are close-typed for economy of printing. Use the Bible and its promises alongside this update.
Why not read the Bible through every year on a daily basis? Please go to our website: www.intercessorsforcyprus.org page: ‘Daily Bible Reading Plan’
Giving thanks; Editorial: A Stirring; The Church: Specific ministries & churches;
The Body, His Church in Cyprus; Enemy Attack; The Glory of God; Cypriot healing evangelist; ITI.
The Government: This month; The Peace process, The North; Gas; Health.
National issues: (see list); Moral & social; Cities & municipalities; Caring & compassion; International; IFC information.
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ....... .... March Prayer Issues. 2 Corinthians 1:20. ‘For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ.’
(An interpretation of) Isaiah 62v6-7a: I have set intercessors on your walls who shall cry out to God for the fulfilment of his promises.’
NB. We hold a main weekly IFC prayer group in Larnaca every Friday 9am-noon and others weekly e.g. Prayer for Israel, Ministries & Refugees, at other times. Details: Email the above. Use the Prayer update in your home group, prayer group, church prayers, and devotionals. Use it topically or work through it over the month
Tip: Allow the Holy Spirit to lead you to an entry He wants you to pray into. Focus on that (also in your group) until you sense completion. God bless you!
^ GIVING THANKS: 1 Thessalonians 5:18. ‘In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.’
At IFC we are deeply moved at the way God is bringing believing church leaders across the island together for His future purposes. Thank You, Lord! God was gracious to the UK in their Election and the Brexit. Israeli Elections are on March 2nd. Give thanks for God’s grace to nations and each of us.
^ EDITORIAL: A Stirring: Something is happening in Cyprus amongst the people of God, a stirring. For example, note this entry from the Evangelical Alliance: ’The Cyprus Evangelical Alliance (CEA) is organizing a joint prayer meeting on Saturday 21st March 2020 in Limassol for the entire evangelical community of Cyprus. In this prayer meeting leaders from all the churches of Cyprus (members and non-members) and from various ministries working in here, will pray together for requests concerning Cyprus and the problems our country faces. At the end of the prayer meeting, CEA will issue a Press Release to inform the Media about the prayer and the requests we will have prayed for. Additionally, a CEA delegation will visit the President of the Republic and the President of the House of Representatives to hand them a letter emphasizing the support and prayers of the evangelical community for them.’
Also the recent visit to Cyprus of Michael Gertsman, who spoke in each city, focused on church leaders coming together across their city to build relationship, trust and friendship, to pray together for their city and for the nation. God’s recipe for revival and healing of this nation is for His appointed spiritual leadership of the church to initiate - under His leading – means by which they and others can seek God, fulfil His requirements, and build towards a move of God affecting the whole nation. 2 Chronicles 7v14 lays out God’s requirement. God wants to transform this nation. He is waiting for His church to respond to His call. Add to these the regular North-South prayers led by church leadership every month (the next is Tuesday 10th March, venue via firstname.lastname@example.org) and you can see that God is opening opportunities for a unity of purpose amongst us for steps towards His healing of the north-south rift and the influence of Turkey. Only He can deal with this. (NB. See the ‘Prophetic word for the Cypriot Church’ attached file.)
These three points above are very encouraging developments for Cyprus. Now we need to pray that the Spirit of God moves on church leaders in each city, moves on perhaps one church leader to invite the others in the city to meet up at a time and regularity and venue which will work for them.
Can you imagine a group of leaders enjoying early breakfast together and then praying for their city, from time to time? Not too difficult, but someone needs to initiate such events. Church leaders respond to other church leaders. Pray for God to raise up key leaders in this process. Now read on….
“Revival is a supernatural event in the church and society. It is a work of the Holy Spirit which brings: an overpowering sense of God’s presence leading to uplifting, inspired worship; an awesome sense of God’s holiness leading to a deep conviction of sin, even amongst those outside the church; a supernatural drawing of people together and an outpouring of love for one another, all of which leads to a huge number coming to faith. People’s lives and whole communities are transformed.“ (Network for Revival UK)
Foundations for Revival (3) For those spending a brief regular time praying with real concern for revival, you might find the following prayers helpful:
O Lord, come in Revival – to heal the grief and remove the dishonour which you experience because of the failings of the church and the widespread godlessness of society; to requite your ignored, rejected love; to make the church radically obedient to Scripture in the power of the Spirit and effective in ministry and outreach; to bring many unbelievers to faith in Jesus, saving them from a lost eternity; to hasten the return of Christ. Come to bring an overpowering sense of your presence; a glimpse of the worship of heaven and inspired worship, deepening the faith of believers and bringing many more to faith. Come now, Lord.
Lord, come in revival, bringing: a profound sense of your presence, an overwhelming awareness of your holiness, an awe-inspiring revelation of your power, an inspiring sense of worship, an in-depth conviction of sin, a glorious joy in forgiveness, a fundamental restoration of the church, a massive turning to you by unbelievers, a widespread transformation of society, hastening the return of Jesus.
NB. For Coronavirus comments and prayer, see ‘International’ section.
^ THE CHURCH: Matthew 16:18. ‘I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.’
Here are specific requests for prayer or news of what God is doing in Cyprus, in Cypriots, and in the lives of His people in the area.
1. Specific Churches and Ministries: Revelation 1v11: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches…”
a) Cyprus-Israel Friendship Day: Monday 16 March, Lordos Beach Hotel near Larnaca. Several guest speakers from Israel and Cyprus, and praise and worship led by Joshua Aaron. The conference is from 9AM to 5PM, followed by an evening of praise and worship led by Joshua Aaron from 6:30 to 8PM. Suggested donation for the event is €20, with profits donated to Lema’an Achai free dental clinics in Israel. For more information, email Mike & Sue Wernette at HaGesher5777@gmail.com. Pray this event gathers those with an interest in the developing relationship between Israel & Cyprus, and for others to be drawn also (Acts 4v36; Acts 13v2).
b) E.A. Joint Prayer Meeting: (See Editorial) For leaders. Saturday am 21st March 2020 in Limassol. Details via www.peneek.com
c) Fatherheart ‘A’school: Led by Fatherheart Ministries at Living Stones House of Prayer, Kiti, Cyprus again this year. It is about experiencing the Father`s love. 29th March - 4th April 2020, led by Andy and Gunilla Glover. At ‘A’ School you will be ‘introduced to the full perspective of the revelation of the Father’s love. Through revelatory insight and sound biblical teaching, told through the lives of those that minister, you will be exposed to a transforming message of love, life and hope. You will be given an opportunity to remove the main blockages to receiving Father’s love and discover your heart as a true son or daughter.’ If you would like to attend, please register online with Andy and Gunilla Glover https://www.rttn.org/cyprus/ For more information, please see also www.fatherheart.net Intercede that lives will be changed by the Father’s love (1 John 3v1).
d) ‘Daniel Generation’: Daniel 11v32b (K.J.Version) sums up the vision of this ministry, to walk with God and do exploits in His service. A word for Cyprus at one of the board meetings was: Jeremiah 1v10: “See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant." Cyprus is called to be a ‘copper conduit’ rather like electricity, for conducting God’s power to the nations round about. God has a future for Cyprus and for the young people of the land. The Daniel Generation ministry seeks to promote God’s purposes for Christian youth and youth leaders across Cyprus through prayer and action, and also to promote links between Cyprus and the youth of other nations. Pray for leaders Tom & Jo, & for recognition by the government of Daniel Generation Company as a charity, and release for an official bank account (Rev 3v8).
e) YFC Cyprus: This Youth for Christ ministry seeks to promote local initiatives to reach young people in the cities of Cyprus. Continue in prayer for leaders Lousios & Athena, and for the vision of an outreach café in each main city to come to fruition. Currently, Larnaca is the café focus (Acts 17v27).
f) Kadosh Art: Regarding the coming exhibitions in Israel, we have 11+ artists participating now and have accepted 181 paintings. Our coordinators in Israel are planning 5 exhibitions, 4 in the Galilee and one in Caesarea. 34 paintings altogether are in the mail. Please pray that the last two packages will all arrive safely by March 8th. There is also a prayer meeting concerning paintings in Larnaca, details from Jörn. 96541349. Please pray for organisational details and for breakthrough over email communication problems with coordinators. This is a spiritual battle. Pray for wisdom, success, love, peace and grace for the co-ordinators Thank you. Jörn. (Exodus 36v2).
g) MegaBURN: This worship and prayer ministry is developing both in Cyprus and across the Mediterranean region, as the House of Prayer (HoP) movement promotes the vision. Here in Cyprus the Bartons are making a real difference as they often lead BURN events. Pray for this anointed couple to know God’s blessing and leading in their ministry here in Cyprus (1 Chronicles 15v16).
2. The Body, His Church in Cyprus. (A prayer study): ‘Lord, we thank You for building Your Body directly in the face of hell's gates (Matt. 16:18). Aid the elders to guard the true unity of the Spirit – NB not a nice but unbiblical humanistic unity (Eph. 4:3). Give the Body in Cyprus wisdom to know what is essential from what is not essential. Often repeated in church history is: ‘In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all else, love.’
Let the truth of Your Word be the standard for all that we say and do (3 John 3:4). Let truth rule over unity (John 17:17). We proclaim the truth of Messiah Jesus – God the Son, totally human and totally divine (Psa. 2:12; Isa. 7:9; 9:6-7; Mark 2:28; 4:40-41; Revelation 1:1-22:21).
Enable each believer to actually hear what their brothers and sisters are saying, without it being distorted by expectations (Mark 7:14). Enable us to be able to communicate clearly (1 Pet. 4:11a). Thank You for sound doctrine that is clearly spoken in love (Eph. 4:15; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
If there are elders who are actually out of place, move them. May this become true for all the elders of the land: In that day…. (Isa. 28:5-6).
3. Enemy Attack: In reaction to the above, Satan is seeking to undermine the authority of scripture, the word of God, at every level in society….and in the Church. The existence of the Creator of heaven and hell is opposed, rebellion against God and His Son is rising up (Psalm 2), the biblical teaching on sexuality is resisted, the uniqueness of Jesus as the only Saviour is stood against. Even in the Church the well-established doctrines are up for review to suit this modern age. How we forget the eternal nature of God and His word – relevant to every age and situation. The Evangelical Alliance firmly believes in “The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.” Pray into this and resist the enemy’s strategies. (2 Tim 3v16; 1 Peter 5v9).
4. The Glory of God: Psalm 115v1 says that the glory is for the Lord. The Hebrew word for glory implies the ‘weight’ of His glory, His ‘shekinah’. God is One who is ‘weighty’ in influence, working in us and through us for His glory. God chooses the weak to shame the strong so that no-one can boast before Him (1 Cor 1v27-29). Whatever we do should be for the glory of God (1 Cor 10v31). Jesus desired for God’s name to be glorified, His character, through Jesus’ own life and death (also John 17v1). Jesus brought God glory by doing His will (John 17v4). He leads us in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Thinking about this leads us to pray for the unsaved, for your loved ones, for others, not just for their salvation, but for the glory of God which would be released in their lives through salvation. This is a prayer in line with God’s will, a prayer which He will answer. Pray in this way for someone who has been on your heart for salvation: ‘Lord, save _______ so that You may be glorified in and through their lives.’ Amen!
5. Cypriot healing evangelist: This Cypriot (based in the UK) has been a conduit for major physical healing and miracles. He has a following of 103,000 on Facebook! He is moving to the USA this month. This encourages us in that God's word concerning healing (and everything else) remains true and eternal. Our experience of His word is not always to the level of the truth, but when God uses such people to demonstrate His truth, His kingdom, it is a challenge to us all. I have had a couple of supernatural healings but want to see ‘there and then’ healing for someone on the streets, ill in bed, etc. When revival comes… Pray the Lord moves supernaturally, but also develops and increases our faith for healing (Matthew 10v8).
ITI: The reason we intercede for and work towards the great end time Aliyah (return) of the Jews to the land of Israel, is because God has revealed His heart for this return (Jeremiah 32v41), His promises about this return, His purpose in this return. According to the prophets in the Bible, the Jews have to return to the land first, before God reveals His Messiah to them, whereby ‘All Israel shall be saved’ (Romans 11v26), in turn leading to a move of God amongst the nations (see Editorial above). Pray that the Church will recognise this from scripture and pray in line with God’s will (Gen 12v3).
^ THE GOVERNMENT & THOSE IN AUTHORITY: 1 Timothy 2v1-4: 1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2 for kings and all those in authority…..
Republic of Cyprus President: The Hon. Nicos Anastasiades (First Lady Andri); Pray for wisdom for our President, Cabinet, government & opposition parties, and also for our Archbishop Chrysostomos ll. Pray for the current president of the Evangelical Alliance of Churches in Cyprus, Yiannos and E.A. secretary Chrysso. Pray also for key leaders in the North: Underground church leaders; leader of Turkish Cypriot Community Mr Mustafa Akinci, Prime Minister Tufan Erhürman, Minister of Foreign Affairs Kudret Özersay. Also regarding Mr Erdogan of Turkey.
^ This month: Local Government Reform Bill: Slow decision-making and bureaucracy make reforms necessary. The idea is that local authorities will be financially autonomous while at the same time administratively independent. Pray for appropriate change (Acts 6v14). Progress in Parliament?
Larnaca Port: The government has reached agreement with a Cyprus-Israeli consortium for the redevelopment of Larnaca port and marina. The Cypriot-Israeli consortium ‘Kition Ocean Holdings’ has now presented the €1.2 billion redevelopment. (Paphos is also linking up with Israeli tourism and business for the future.) Arms: The Defence Ministry signed a €240m contracts to upgrade weaponry systems. Bank charges: A protection net for vulnerable groups of society against bank charges is currently under review by parliament with the House Institution Committee studying all legal weapons to be used. Pray! Security: The Justice Ministry is reconsidering national security connected to a surge in migration. Commerce ministry: Cyprus has won back the halloumi trademark in the UK, more than 18 months after it lost it because of a blunder by Commerce Ministry officials. Amen! Non-performing loans: Eurostat tells us that in 2018, Cyprus became the country with the highest stock of non-performing loans (assets) of general government, with 32.4% of GDP, far ahead of the other EU Member States, (nearest 3% GDP). Pray.
Migration: Cyprus’ Migration policy is changing, with provisions for the setting up a new list of safe countries, the deployment by Frontex of a mechanism for the return of migrants to third countries and also an EU initiative for re-admission agreements with non-EU states. Women: Cyprus’ bill on Prevention and Fight against Violence on Women is expected to be completed within the next few weeks. Phones: Amendments to the phone tapping bill are being examined by the Attorney General’s office. How our government needs wisdom from God. Ask the Lord to grant such wisdom (Matthew 11v19).
^ Peace Process: The Bi-Communal Choir for Peace in Cyprus has won the 2020 Hiroshima Prize. Amen. More important is that the true Church in north and south Cyprus is seeking to be reconciled and stand together. This paves the way for God to heal the nation (2 Chron 7v14). Give thanks.
^ The North: Potato crops in the Famagusta area were spoiled by frost. Pray for compensation to farmers. Turkish officials in northern Cyprus met in Famagusta to discuss potentially re-opening the Varosha ‘ghost city’ fenced-off area after 46 years…This is a concern to us all. Pray (Ezekiel 37v17).
^ Gas: Turkey has purchased its third offshore drilling ship. The ship will begin operations in 2020 though it is not specified where. Any guesses? Energy Minister Georgios Lakkotrypis has said Turkey intends to turn the Eastern Mediterranean into a Turkish lake. Pray against this illegal expansionism by Turkey regarding energy and the East Med. The Lord reigns! (Psalm 99v1-3). Pray for your enemies, including Erdogan (Matt 5v44).
^ Health: Coronavirus: Public information campaigns on preventive measures against the coronavirus are in circulation (see also ‘International’ entry). Government housing in Troodos will be used to quarantine individuals. Recruits: 2000 health professionals and 9 private hospitals across the island are in negotiations with the Health Insurance Organisation in order to join the GHS, whilst 33 other private hospitals are exploring. Procurement of some specialised medicines has been delayed. Conditions at the Athalassa Psychiatric Hospital have been described as ‘abysmal’, but repairs are imminent. Pray for improvement and co-operation in all these (Psalm 27v1; Psalm 18v2).
^ NATIONAL ISSUES: Psalm 33:12. ‘Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD.’
Political: Almost 9 of 10 Cypriots say that they do not trust political parties and point to the army as their most trusted institution. Pray….(Prov 3v5).
Justice: Gladstone, former UK Prime Minister said, “Justice delayed is justice denied.” Cyprus’ justice system needs to heed this. Pray (Amos 5v24).
Trade: The trade deficit in Cyprus recorded an increase of 450 million euro in 2019, compared to the same period in 2018, i.e. €4,652 million compared to €4,199 million 2018. This a real concern. No one seems concerned though! Consider Daniel 5v27 and pray.
Shipping: The number of shipping companies under the Cypriot tonnage tax system is on the rise over the past decade. Amen.
Inflation: The rate is running at 1.1% annually on January’s figures. Ask God to limit inflation (James 4v2b).
Foreclosures: The number of warnings from banks of imminent foreclosure and repossession of homes is rising. Consider Matt.18v23-35 and pray.
Bank Charges: The Central Bank of Cyprus is reviewing fees imposed by commercial banks and may put a ceiling on four basic services. Amen.
Start-up companies: Those focused in the fields of sustainable development and climate change are eligible for funding. Amen.
Wages: A recent ETUC study reveals that average wages in Cyprus are 7% lower than 10 years ago. This is a concern. Pray (Haggai 1v6; Luke 10v7).
Environment: Cyprus had the second lowest share of expenditure on environmental protection in the EU in 2018. Paralimni Lake, despite its protected status is under threat from a number of causes. Pray for changes in attitude (Genesis 1v26).
Security Drone: will patrol Cyprus’ EEZ to spot threats, support operations over trafficking of people or goods and assist in search and rescue. Amen.
Animal Shelters: These are suffering due to lack of finance and interest. However, the Agriculture Ministry has pledged €200,000 for animal welfare groups and shelters to apply for. Pray the money gets used appropriately (Genesis 1v26 again).
Gambling: The Cyprus National Addictions Authority says 3.6% of Cypriots involved in betting engage with them ‘in a problematic way’. Also, the fourth C2 licenced Casino opens in Paphos this month, and the Council of Europe’s anti-money laundering watchdog considers the operation of casinos in Cyprus as a potential risk for money laundering. Both of these are bad news - for the addicted and their families and for Cyprus. Pray (1 Tim 6v10).
Alcohol: New legislation on the sale of alcohol to minors means an increase of the age limit for the purchase of alcohol from 17 to 18 years and raises the fine for selling alcohol to minors from CYP 35 to €3,400. Imprisonment up to six months is also stipulated. Pray a restraining effect (Prov 24v11).
Vehicle Insurance: Insurance companies bear the costs of the ever rising car and motorcycle accidents in Cyprus so the cost of policies are rising.
Reckless drivers under the influence of drugs or drink will lose their licences immediately. Pray that new strict laws are upheld and restrain (Prov 28v4).
Cars: The government offers a €5,000 grant to buy an electric car and an additional €2,000 if combined with scrapping of an old car. Amen.
Schools: Some schools and pupils have suffered this winter from poor heating. Intercede for improvements (James 2v16).
^ MORAL & SOCIAL ISSUES: Deut 10v4: The Lord wrote on these tablets what he had written before, the Ten Commandments he had proclaimed.
Blood: The Health Ministry has appealed for blood donations saying that because of the seasonal viruses there has been a lower turnout.
Baby’s Dowry: This is a project set up by government to help poorer and socially deprived families, including free provision of basic consumer goods such as equipment, linen, baby diapers as well as personal baby hygiene and care. 1200 families have benefitted so far. Amen.
Women: Issues of peace and security, gender equality and the like are being considered at government level. Women’s pensions in Cyprus are on average 38% lower than those paid to men. Pray for biblical roles and relationships to be reflected in society in this matter (Genesis 2v21-24).
Wild birds: CABS says crime against wild birds in Cyprus ‘out of control’. Pray for restraint both legally and morally (Genesis 1v20-23).
Deception & Fraud: Sham marriage rings are catching people in their nets in Cyprus. Online scams are doing the same. Police are alerting to online Bitcoin fraud by those posing to be investors on social media. Pray for education about these dangers and for warnings to be heeded (1 Thess 5v6).
Marriage: Cyprus had the highest number of marriages relative to the size of population in 2018. Amen. Pray ongoing commitment (Mark 10v6-8).
Wall of Kindness: “Leave it if you have plenty, take it if you need it” is the motto written on the “Wall of Kindness” set up at the entrance of the B’ Yeroskipou Primary School. (Cyprus was ranked 23rd among 180 countries in the ‘flourishing’ of children in a new UN-led research). Amen.
LGBTI: “ The admission of the Republic of Cyprus to the European Union in 2004 facilitated the mobilisation of LGBTI groups on both sides of the island. Nonetheless, in Cyprus, LGBTI equality remains a work in progress. Since the early-2010s, a pan-Cypriot LGBTI movement is in the making that progressively increases its efforts not only for LGBTI legal recognition.” The spirit behind the gay movement is a deceptive spirit which promotes a lie which is NOT in accordance with scripture. Pray against this movement and for the people to be delivered (Lev 18v22; 1 Cor 6v9; Rev 22v15).
^ CITIES & MUNICIPALITIES: PRAY for your city: Jeremiah 29v7: “Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." Psalm 55:11.’Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets.’ Consider these verses and pray for your city. Town, village, municipality as led by the Lord. Nicosia: The Municipal swimming pool badly needs upgrading. Larnaca: The Ex Larnaca mayor, three state officials and a private company were found guilty of corruption. Amen, but pray for them. The new Mayor wants the main Post office to be relocated in the town. Pray for the right decisions to be made over this, an important landmark and gathering point. The Municipality has announced the opening of its Municipal Service Centre to the public on Tuesday March 4, 2020, on 11 Andrea Miaouli Street (formerly the Larnaca Coop Bank headquarters). Paphos: Tenders have been invited for the Executive terminal at old Pafos airport. The Israeli tourist market marked a huge increase in 2019, now our fourth largest tourist market. Paphos is exploring with Israel future developments between them. Pray for the main cities of Cyprus, both north and south, and their mayors and leaders (Jeremiah 29v7).
^ CARING AND COMPASSION: (by the Church and others): Matthew 5v7: ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.’
1. Refugees, asylum seekers & migrant workers...,aliens & strangers: Exodus 22v21: "Do not ill-treat an alien or oppress him, for you were aliens.”
Remember the Oasis Refugee Project: OASIS Regular Activities: Mondays • Food Distribution 9:00am-10:30am • Mother & Baby Care 9:00am-10:30am. Tuesdays • ‘Women of Worth’ 10am-12pm. Wednesdays & Fridays • English 9:30am-1:00pm 3:00-4:30pm • Bible Study 6pm (Wed. only). Thursdays • Social Café 10:00am-12:00pm. • Advice Centre 10:00am-12:00pm. Also Meetings for prayer, co-ordinators, board and special events.
Email: email@example.com Phone: 24002266. PRAY for this wonderful ministry to refugees and asylum seekers (Proverbs 31v8-9).
Asylum seekers: The NGO Caritas Cyprus has sounded the alarm over incidents of hunger among asylum seekers as a result of changes in the way food coupons are distributed by the Social Welfare Services. Also accommodation is a real issue. Refugee housing: Residents at the Ayios Ioannis refugee housing in Larnaca have been asked to evacuate an apartment block by February 28 because of the unsuitability of the building. They have been told to find their own accommodation for which they will receive a rent allowance. Training: Free ICT computer training courses for unemployed, migrants and refugees is being held at the University of Nicosia. A total of 87 Syrians, 61 men, 10 women and 16 children were brought to shore at Larnaca, believed to have set sail in Turkey. Imagine you were in their situation, and pray accordingly (Matthew 5v7).
2. The poor and needy, widows and orphans, foreigners, unemployed, exploited, etc: Proverbs 31v8-9: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Remember in prayer the Mercy Centre in Nicosia, the Limassol group, and the Matthew 25 project in Paphos. Also Cyprus Samaritans, etc. Nearly one in four of the population (23.9% i.e. 200,000) are at risk of poverty (Cyprus Statistical Service). Pray as led (John 12v28a).
^ INTERNATIONAL ISSUES: Mark 11v17: "Is it not written: 'My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations?’ “(Also Revelation 14v6.)
Ongoing: Pray against the use of nuclear weapons and chemical weaponry and for Gospel declaration in the Middle East (Matt 16v19).
China; Coronavirus: The outbreak poses a “very grave threat for the rest of the world”, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.
Lord, please give comfort and hope to all those who have lost loved ones. Draw them to Yourself (2 Cor. 1:3-6). A spirit of fear and panic is at work in the world, yet the Lord is sovereign. Lord, please protect Your Body, especially in China, from this plague (Psa. 91:1-13). Give the Chinese Body wisdom to know what You are saying and then lead them in prayer and healing (Rom. 8:26). Thank You they are evangelizing to good effect. May the spread of this pestilence cause many to seek Your face (Matt. 24:7-8). Protect Cyprus from having this virus invade it. ‘For the Lord is our shield….’ (Psa. 89:18). Help Cyprus to see its areas of vulnerability (e.g. ports, freight planes, Cypriots returning from abroad) and give wisdom in knowing how to develop and maintain proper effective means of isolation. Give scientists wisdom in the development of a vaccine (Psa. 107:20).
This virus has global implications for the world's economy and is something we need to intercede about both for ourselves, our ministries and for our nations. And since biblically, the Anti-Christ seems to rise on the wings of having global economic answers, we encourage you all to continue to watch and pray. In these days, let us remember to look to Yeshua – the author and completer of our faith (Heb. 12:2).
A locust invasion: Billions of locust are eating their way through northeast Africa and the famine and deaths could be of biblical proportions. Over twenty African countries are at risk, many of them already short of crops. Lord, have mercy (Hab. 3:2). Please protect the innocent and provide for those who have been devastated (Psa. 9:18). If You are saying something, please show us and lead us in prayer (Amos 3:7). As they descend on various nations, cause the people to look to You and cast away all their false gods and idols (Psa. 121:1-2; Joel 2:25). Please protect Cyprus from this plague of locusts (Ex. 8:22; 9:26). Lord of Hosts, blow these locust swarms away from our and other nations’ borders (Ex. 10:19).
Israel: NB. Elections March 2nd. Pray for the Lord’s mercy in this third election, for a right government for such a time as this. (Also Purim 9-11th March…see the story of Esther, relevant to this prayer. (The Book of Esther, especially chapter 10).
US Peace Plan: The Palestinian Authority has cut all ties with the United States and Israel, including those relating to security, after rejecting the Middle East Peace Plan put forward by the United States. Israel had accepted the plan. Pray God works out His purposes in all this (Ps 33v10-11).
Greece: Migrants on the Greek island of Lesbos have been stepping up action because of appalling conditions in refugee camps there. Greek police fired tear gas to disperse migrants and refugees protesting about conditions in these camps and the slow pace of processing asylum seekers. Greece now plans to accelerate the creation of detention centres on its outlying islands in the Aegean Sea. Pray for wisdom and effective change (Jer 1v12).
Britain: Following Brexit, the UK wants to establish ambitious new trade relations with Cyprus. Pray the Lord watches over this for good (Ps. 85v12).
The persecuted Church: (Open Doors World Watch List 2019, Top Ten: no.7 Eritrea: The government views Christians as agents of the West, Muslims see them as betraying their faith. They are harassed, held in horrific conditions and even killed. However, some, imprisoned for their faith, share the gospel with others there and witness conversions and baptisms. Open Doors aids the strengthening church there. Pray as led (Matt 5v44).
Bless you all. Yassas, αντίο and shalom. The IFC team
In 2013, IFC (intercessors for Cyprus) was given leave to develop its ministry under the authority of the Evangelical Alliance, Cyprus. IFC has an office and a prayer home. We believe in using the home for a place of prayer and in inviting others to join us. (The Hebrew word for ‘house’ is also used for ‘home’, so the rising movement of Prayer Houses could also be applied to homes). We would like to see many homes in Cyprus opening up for public as well as private prayer once a week if not more. We hold public prayer meetings three mornings a week. Tuesdays: (9-11am) ITI prayer for Cyprus a safe haven for refugees. Wednesdays: (9-12am) we meet to pray for Israel. Fridays: (9-12am) prayer for Cyprus, including the latest news and using the IFC monthly Cyprus Prayer Update, and being led of the Spirit. If you would like to join us - as a visitor or more permanently- then email the above to arrange.
IFC News sources and links for Intercessors. First, from the Bible and from Holy Spirit! Then from intercessors, churches and ministries. Also, the Internet, particularly ‘InCyprus News’, from TV, radio & newspapers, local government, local people & shopkeepers, etc. Regular sources: Issachar UK; Jerusalem Post; Open Doors; IFI; Vision for Israel; Internet.
Do you want to pray for Israel more regularly? Try Intercessors for Israel: http://www.ifi.org.il/prayer/points
INTERCESSORS FOR CYPRUS Previous three PRAYER UPDATES:
See 'Recent Updates English' page.
INTERCESSORS FOR CYPRUS Previous three PRAYER UPDATES:
See 'Recent Updates English' page.